Sunday, February 3, 2013

One in three high school students have been in an abusive relationship




According to the ACADV (Alabama Coalition Against Domestic Violence), one out of three high school students have been in, or will be in, an abusive relationship. This number seems so high it is difficult to believe. Yet the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence reports statistics that are just as shocking: In Oregon, one in ten women experience intimate partner violence. The highest rate of intimate partner violence occurs in women between the ages of 21-24.

Why?
Possible reasons ACADV suggests so many young women are involved in abusive relationships might be because women see other examples of violence and abuse in relationships and think it is normal, consider their boyfriend’s jealousy and anger is romantic, they internalize their problems and blame themselves, feel they have to solve their problems themselves, and are afraid to ask for help. Overall, teenagers are inexperienced in relationships, are confused about what romance means, and succumb to peer pressure more than an adult might. Because youths desire independence from their parents, and are less likely to confide in them and ask for help, many parents aren’t aware of the situations their children may be in.


Dating Bill of Rights

I have a right to: 
Ask for a date

Refuse a date

Suggest activities

Refuse any activities, even if my date is excited about them

Have my own feelings and be able to express them

Say, "I think my friend is wrong and his actions are inappropriate"

Tell someone not to interrupt me

Have my limits and values respected

Tell my partner when I need affection

Refuse affection

Be heard

Refuse to lend money

Refuse sex any time, for any reason

Have friends and space aside from my partner

I have the responsibility to:
Determine my limits and values
Respect the limits of others
Communicate clearly and honestly
Not violate the limits of others
Ask for help when I need it
Be considerate
Check my actions and decisions to determine whether they are good or bad for me
Set high goals for myself

Provided by the Domestic Violence Advocacy Program of Family Resources, Inc.


No comments:

Post a Comment